Thursday, July 8, 2010

Starting the day right with a healthy, local breakfast


It took me about 15 minutes to make breakfast this morning and it will take my Taster about 5 minutes to do the dishes. Seems like a big time investment in this rushed world. But while cutting up the pepper and onion for the eggs, I wondered how many parents will do "anything" for their kids, but not make them a breakfast that will keep them awake in school. Or how many adults doze at work, or spend money on diet shakes, medicine, and doctors, when the answer may lie simply in cooking a few minute a day.

What's local on that plate: eggs, yellow pepper, onion, basil, stone-ground corn meal, asiago cheese, tomato. I forgot to put in the garlic, so it wound up in the stoup.

What's not local: olive oil, salt, pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Linda,
    I'm enjoying the blog and your local challenge, and I loved your last cooking class in Pbo (beans!). I start every day with an all local breakfast that costs next to nothing and takes 2.5 minutes in the microwave: oatmeal made with rolled oats from Lindley Mills, via Chatham Marketplace 2 miles from my house. We add fresh fruit in season.
    Cheers,
    Dee
    http://sustainablegrub.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete