Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peak summer season at farmers' market today



What a bounty at the markets today! I started at Western Wake Farmers' Market, where I got organic and spray free tomatoes, peppers, garlic, bitter gourd, green beans, eggs, basil, cantaloupe, cucumbers, and blueberries.

Next stop: State Farmers' Market. Roberts' Family Farm was out of Jackson Dairy Farms' butter, which was the main reason I'd come to the market. But I got an amazing basket of Contender peaches: 24 pounds for $15 for peaches in top condition. I spent my last cash at Wise Family Farms on a pint of pink-eye peas, a half-pint of six-week peas, and 3 onions. I also saw blueberries selling for $15 a flat (18 pints) ... and I think they were spray free.

Putting up peaches. This weekend, I'll make peach ice cream and put up peach ice-cream base for the winter. I was going to make blueberry pie, but will wait until I can get local butter.

Total cost & what stays local. I spent $74.75 total at both markets today, but about $20 worth of that will be going into the freezer for the winter. The usually ratio for how much of your money stays in your community when you shop locally is 42%, compared to 13% if you shop at a chain store or 0% when you shop online. But I bet this is much closer to 100%, since I bought directly from the farmers. Does anybody know of any studies about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment