Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Southern Biscuit Flour makes fluffy blueberry muffins

I haven't had a breakfast this sweet and fluffy since I found out that Krispy Kreme doughnuts are legally but not actually devoid of trans fats.


My friend Karen introduced me to her (and now my) version of the Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins recipe when I rented a room from her during graduate school. There are lots of variations on the web, but we use 1 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 1/2 cups of blueberries, and no vanilla.

For this batch made during Eat Local July, I used Southern Biscuit Flour from Newton, NC. This all-purpose flour has just 3 grams of protein per quarter cup, instead of 4 grams like the flours I usually use 50/50 in this recipe: Whole Foods all-purpose and King Arthur white whole-wheat. Less protein means less gluten means lighter baked goods.

What's local in this breakfast? Flour, blueberries, milk, eggs, peanut butter, plus cantaloupe

What's not? butter (alas!), sugar, baking powder, salt, plus tea

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning to make some Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins soon, probably at the beach next week. For some reason, the muffins of my memory are a lot larger than the ones come out of my oven, but that could be due to the passing of time. My version is a bit different (recipe on my blog) but I'm tempted to try the 50/50 flour ratio. I usually do when making quick breads but haven't yet tried it with this sacred recipe.

    ReplyDelete