Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eat Local in July: Day 1



This month, I'm going to see how local I can go using the basic Cook for Good approach with a few changes and new recipes. In a March newsletter, I wrote that going 10%, 20%, and even 30% local seems low to me and that 44% could easily be local in the summer, even without using local butter or cheese. When you cook from scratch, part of nearly every dish can be local.

Can I make it to 44% local? More? Follow the daily reports on my blog, which starts today with a nearly 100% local breakfast. It should be easy to have all my produce, flour, and dairy come from NC. If you know where I can get local pantry items (peanut butter, oil, rice, baking powder, pasta, rice, tea, etc.), please drop me an email.

So far, it's going great. Breakfast was all local except for a family-sized bag of tea: scrambled eggs with peppers, onions, and basil, skillet potatoes, and melon. Lunch was 100% local: Summering Succotash, tomato, blueberries, and water. All so delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment