Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year! Food at Raleigh Celebration

Happy Chinese New Year, y'all! I'm looking forward to going to the celebration at the State Fair Grounds today. It's in the new Exposition Center.

I'm looking forward to these treats, recommended by Lisa Chang, VP of the Triangle Area Chinese American Society:
There's a woman who makes a Taiwanese soft crepe with savory fillings that's delicious and interesting to watch being made. The crepes are made by wiping a hot pan surface with wet dough/thick batter. The part that sticks to the pan becomes a very thin, translucent crepe that wraps around meats, vegetables, and peanut powder - very yummy.

I'll also have Asian style shaved ice at the CNYF. I just purchased a very expensive commercial grade cubed ice shaver for myself that I will loan to the event. We won't have the huge variety of toppings available that an actual restaurant would (plus mango this time of year is terrible), but we'll have enough to approximate the true Chinese shaved ice experience. I'll have red bean, almond jelly, mochi, brown sugar syrup, and condensed milk for sure, and others are up for debate.

You know I've got to try the red-bean shaved ice! Lisa also says the celebration includes:

marvelous performances, cultural exhibits, vendors, and of course, lots of food! There are a couple of fantastic cooks who will be lending their talents to the event in order to provide a some specialty dishes that aren't generally available at your average restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment