Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Do bad labels on Newman's olive oil mean you're paying too much?

Did you pay 50% more than you should have for Newman's Own Organics Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil? You might have if you bought a 16.9 ounce bottle with the wrong label on the back: one that says it contains 50 servings.

While checking my calculations for my grocery-price spreadsheet yesterday, I noticed something very odd. Newman's Own Organics claimed to have 50 tablespoon-sized serving of olive oil in its 16.9 fl oz bottle while Whole Foods only claimed 33. Google said that Whole Foods had the math right.

I contacted Newman's Own Organics. Peggy Westenhofer, the Director of Customer Relations, wrote:
The following information in blue is from our Product Development Manager-

Our 16.9oz bottle actually states that there are about 34 servings per container.

Our 25.3oz bottle states that there are about 50 servings per container.

A serving for either size is 1 tablespoon or 15ml.

So it seems that the label with the serving size and the UPC code for a big bottle had been put on the small bottle by mistake. Since the UPC code is for the bigger bottle, it's likely that in some stores people are paying for the big bottle but getting the small one. My husband, who is a manufacturing engineer, says that it's possible that thousands of bottles were mislabeled.

Today, I checked the labels at three stores in Raleigh. Harris Teeter had Newman's Own Organics olive oil with bad labels on the shelves. The manager pulled the oil after I pointed out the problem. Harris Teeter was charging a competitive price despite the label problem, but I remember my husband being astonished by the price when he bought the bottle that kicked off this investigation. Wish I had that receipt! The labels at Whole Foods and Fresh Market were correct.

Check your label if you have this oil. If you've got a label mismatch, please leave your city and the store where you bought it in the comments.

I'll post updates here on the Cook for Good blog. I've sent this information to Peggy Westenhofer at Newmans, saying:
I respect your company's philosophy and enjoy many of your products. I can't imagine that this is anything but a mistake. But it is a mistake that may well have cost your customers a lot of money. Will you offer coupons to people who have a bottle with a certain batch number? Contact the stores to make sure that no one else will be overcharged?

No comments:

Post a Comment